Home  >  Services  >  Other Services  >  Roads and pathways
  • Roads and paths

  • Included on this page

  • Report a problem

    Council is responsible for local roads, and most street and car park signs.

    To report a problem to Council, including potholes or damaged footpaths, call 4732 7777 or fill in our online pothole reporting form.

    We work with a range of local and regional organisations as well as the Roads and Maritime Services and NSW Police to improve safety and awareness on our roads - see road safety or contact our Road Safety Officer on 4732 7556.

    Major roads maintained by the NSW state government

    Major roads including the M4, Great Western Highway, Cranebrook Road, Elizabeth Drive, Erskine Park Road, Mamre Road and Mulgoa Road are the responsibility of the state rather than Council - including traffic signals, school zone and 50km/h signs and regulatory signs - visit Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) or phone 131 700 (RMS Road Maintenance Hotline).

    • road and traffic issues - visit the live traffic website for up to date information.
    • suggest a speed limit change or a location that needs a speed camera - visit Safer Roads NSW.
    Who to contact for things Council can't help with
    • broken pit lids (rectangular pits) in nature strip/footpath area contact Telstra on 132 203 or visit the Telstra website
    • water coming up under pressure from a nature strip or road surface, or water constantly on a nature strip/footpath /road when no rain - contact Sydney Water 132 090 or visit Sydney Water.
    • sewer main line/pit damaged/leaking in nature strip/footpath/roadway or private property - contact Sydney Water on 132 090
    • street lights out - contact Integral Energy - 131 003
    Current and future projects

    See what roads and paths Council is planning to build or improve in the coming year in our Delivery Program 2017-21 (pdf 8.5MB). A safe and convenient road and pathway network is a high priority for Council and our community. Our annual programs and budgets include maintenance work and new projects.

    Apply to Council to affect a public road, path or nature strip

    Road Reserve Diagram

    Are you planning to build a driveway or carry out other works near the roadside? Works in the space between a road and private property – known as the road reserve - must be approved by Council before work starts and evaluated by Council on completion. Permits should be applied for well in advance and permission must be granted before works start to avoid fines. 

    The kinds of work you may require permission for include: 

    • Any opening of surfaces between the road and your private property requires a Road Reserve Opening Permit Application. These applications are now online. Find out more below.
    • Driveway construction applications should be made using the online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side.
    • An Infrastructure Restoration Bond (pdf 176kb) is needed to make sure any surface restorations to public land can be carried out if required
    • A Work Zone Application (pdf 147kb) should be made by contractors to ensure that parking and loading spaces for a site do not effect public access around the space. 
    • A Footpath Hoarding Application Form (pdf 92kb) should be made when temporary hoarding, scaffolding or fencing needs to be erected over a public footpath or other work on their property. This is to ensure that there is a safe way for other people using the street.

    You may also require the Refund or Cash Bond or Bank Guarantee and/or the Application for Refund (pdf 142kb).

    For more information please read the Frequently Asked Questions below.

    Road Reserve Opening Permit Applications Online

    Penrith City Council is now accepting Road Reserve Opening permit applications online. By starting at Dial Before You Dig (DBYD), you will be guided through making your application and be able to see the status of all your requests all in one place. You can also print step by step instructions (pdf 555kb).

    Step 1: Check for infrastructure with DBYD

    Log your DBYD request. If your dig site falls within a Penrith City Council Road Reserve, a permit application will be generated.

    Step 2: Fill out the permit application

    After submitting your DBYD application, you will receive an email prompting you to create a new permit application. Fill out the information required online, and then submit.

    Once you submit your permit application, Penrith City Council will see that it is awaiting review.

    If you’re not sure that you have submitted your application, or what stage of progress you are at, you can click ‘View Permits’ button on the DBYD dashboard. This will take you into PermitMonitor which will allow you to view, modify and check the status of your permit requests. You will then see the progress of your application, along with any other applications you have made and notifications from infrastructure owners. If you’re still unsure, you can contact Council to find out more.

    Step 3: Make payment

    Council must receive your payment before your application to be considered. A detailed step by step guide will be available soon.

    Step 4: Council reviews your application

    Your permit request and all associated documents, such as a Road Closure Form, then reviewed by Council. We may request additional documentation by messaging you through PermitMonitor. Each time additional documentation is requested through the messaging function you will be notified via an email to your registered DBYD email address.

    The Council may supply Conditions for the application. These need to be downloaded and agreed to as part of your process. You will see if you have conditions under the Documents tab.

    Step 5: Permit approved

    You will receive an email notifying you of the outcome of your Road Reserve Opening permit application.

    Once the request is approved you will need to change the status of your works from ‘Pending’ to ‘Works In Progress’, and finally to ‘Works Completed’.

    During this process you will be asked to confirm the actual start and end date of the works. If either of these dates differ from the original approved dates, a reason will need to be provided to Council via the popup window that appears.

    Step 6: Inspection and Warranty

    After works are completed, the Council will inspect your work site and will either Pass or Fail the site. If your site passes the inspection, the permit will commence the Warranty period for the Council.

    If your worksite has failed the inspection, the status will change the status to ‘Needs Remedial Action’ and you will be messaged to be advised of this, along with the date by which remediation must be completed. The Council will re-inspect and move to ‘Warranty’ when remediation is complete and passed inspection. Once the warranty period has expired your job will be closed by the Council.

    Road reserve openings and restorations FAQs

    A Road Reserve Opening Permit is used to apply for a permit to carry out any intrusive digging in the public road or footpath (footpath/nature strip/kerb and gutter/roadway). This work may include stormwater or sewer connection works, installation, maintenance, repairs/replacing or upgrading of utilities (eg. water, gas or electricity); temporary access to premises for construction works or upgrading the road, kerb and gutter associated with a development approved by Penrith City Council.

    Where do I get a Road Reserve Opening Permit application?

    Penrith City Council is now accepting Road Reserve Opening permit applications online. By starting at Dial Before You Dig (DBYD), you will be guided through making your application and be able to see the status of all your requests all in one place.

    A step by step guide is available for download (pdf 555kb).

    When do I require a road opening permit application?

    If the work you undertake will affect Penrith City Council's road reserve, footpath, road, nature strip, kerb, gutter, or kerb inlet pit a Road Reserve Opening Permit is required. A road reserve is an area within which facilities such as roads, footpaths, and associated features may be constructed for public travel. It is the total area between boundaries.

    When do I receive my bond back?

    Restoration Bonds may be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the restoration to Council's specifications and a maintenance period of 12 months from practical completion has expired. Restoration Bonds must be claimed within 2 years of lodgement of this applications.

    Is an inspection required after the work is complete?

    When an application for a refund of bond is lodged all works are inspected by Penrith City Council's Restoration Officer. If corrective action is needed, work will need to be carried out until the restoration conditions are satisfied.

    How do I know if you have received my application?

    If you’re not sure that you have submitted your application, or what stage of progress you are at, log in to PermitMonitor and click ‘View Permits’ button which will allow you to view, modify and check the status of your permit.

    How do I know I have permission to proceed with the works/restoration/road opening?

    You will receive advice of approval from Penrith City Council's Restoration Officer. No works should start before this.

    Do I pay a bond or a fee?

    If Penrith City Council complete the restoration work, it is a fee. If you select to complete the restoration work, it is a bond.

    How much is the bond?

    The bond will be calculated from the Road Reserve Opening Permit application.

    Does Council have specifications that I should repair the road reserve to?

    Yes, you must adhere to the specifications on the Engineering Constructions Specifications for Civil Works document (pdf 2mb).

    Driveway Application Online

    Driveway construction applications should be made using the  online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side.

    Online Driveway Application Form

    Driveway Construction FAQs

    Driveway construction involves the building or reconstruction of a dedicated access to a private property between the road and property boundary. Please note the detailed requirements for a driveway or vehicle crossover (accessible pdf 176KB).

    What is a driveway?

    A driveway is the structure or surface that provides vehicle access between the road and a private property. The space between the road and your property is called a road reserve. All driveways fall on a road reserve.

    What is a Council road reserve?

    A road reserve is an area within which facilities such as roads, footpaths and associated features may be constructed for public travel. This space is property of the Council and not privately owned. It is the Council’s responsibility to review plans that may encroach on this space so that current and future works are not affected. This may include road widenings, installation of drainage systems and footpath construction.

    Do I need Council's permission to build or reconstruct a driveway?

    Yes, all driveway constructions and reconstructions require Council permission. This is because your plans may effect essential services or other aspects of infrastructure.

    How do I apply for permission for my driveway construction?

    Driveway construction applications should be made using the online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side.

    How much does the application cost?

    Current application charges are as follows:

    • Residential (house) - $200 per driveway
    • Medium density (units, townhouses) - $350 per driveway
    • Commercial or industrial - $350 per driveway
    What happens when I make an application?

    After you submit an application:

    1. Council will consider your application
    2. Council will then contact you and provide a receipt number. The receipt is acknowledgement that we have received your application and is your reference for future communications with Council.
    3. You should call Council to make a booking with the Infrastructure Officer to visit and inspect the site. They will check formwork on the site before the concrete is poured.
    4. You will receive either approval to build or advice as to how to make the building site compliant for building.
    5. Once approved, you can pour concrete for your driveway.
    6. Two weeks after completion the Infrastructure Officer will make a final inspection to ensure that the changes have been made as per your application and to Council requirements.
    How do I check if there are underground services where I plan to build?

    It is your responsibility to call DIAL BEFORE YOU DIG on 1100 for the location of services belonging to authorities other than the Council. This service is free and intended to prevent damage to underground infrastructure. Please note this service is not provided by Council.

    How wide can my driveway be?

    Residential driveways are minimum 3 metres wide and maximum 6 metres, unless a Development Control Plan requirement states otherwise eg Caddens and Jordan Springs have a maximum width of 4.5 metres.

    Can I build an additional driveway?

    The Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer will make an assessment on submission of the application.

    Can I have a coloured driveway?

    In new development areas like Jordan Springs, Waterside, Mulgoa Rise, Glenmore Park Stage 2, plain concrete is required. In other areas, coloured and stencilled crossover is permitted.

    Can I remove a tree to build my driveway?

    For trees within Council's road reserve, a street tree removal request must be submitted and this will incur additional fees and charges. To learn more about removing or pruning trees on both private and public property visit our Trees page for further information.

    Infrastructure Restoration Bonds FAQs

    The Infrastructure Restoration Bond is needed to help minimise the likelihood of damaging Council Property as a result of the works being carried out. The bond allows Council to make sure the damage to public assets can be fixed.

    What is an Infrastructure Restoration Bond?

    The Infrastructure Restoration Bond (pdf 176kb) is a refundable bond applied as a condition of a Development Application.

    The bond is payable prior to the issue of a Construction Certificate and any site works starting and is a guarantee to protect Council's kerbing, footpaths and verges. The bond may be used to repair or reinstate any damage that occurs during development works.

    The bond is used to make a final inspection after notification of completion of works covered by Development Application and/or Complying Development Certificate.

    Where can I find the Infrastructure Restoration Bond application?
    What does the term ‘infrastructure' refer to?

    In this case, infrastructure is Council's assets within a road reserve. This may include footpaths, services and associated features that may be constructed for public travel. A road reserve is between the boundary of your property and the road.

    How do I get my bond back? How long will it take?

    After a final Occupation Certificate has been issued, please fill out the Refund or Cash Bond or Bank Guarantee and/or the Application for Refund (pdf 142kb). Refunds can take up to four weeks after form lodgement depending on the outcome of the final assessment.

    What if infrastructure is damaged?

    If damage is not recorded and submitted on the original form or Council has not been notified of the damage during construction, it is the applicant's responsibility to make the repairs to the Penrith City Council specifications. These are available through the Engineering Construction Specification for Civil Works (pdf 2mb).

    How much is an Infrastructure Restoration Bond?

    Residential buildings - $2,500 where the value of works does not exceed $400,000. This includes new or additional construction of swimming pools, retaining walls, major excavations, demolition and resite of building up. This excludes multi-unit housing.

    Commercial, industrial, subdivision, dual occupancy buildings - $3,500 where the value of works does not exceed $400,000.

    Works exceeding $400,000 are calculated at 1% of the value of works. The minimum bond amount is $4,000, the maximum bond amount is $100,000.

    This includes all types of development including subdivision, dual occupancy, residential, commercial, industrial or equivalent.

    Are there other fees?

    At Development Application/Complying Development Certificate application stage an Infrastructure Restoration Fee of $187 should have been paid. This fee is non-refundable.

    What do I do if damage occurs before construction starts?

    Take a picture and send it to , addressed to the Infrastructure Officer. It will be assessed and noted against your reports.

    Who needs to lodge or pay the bond?

    It is between the owner and the builder to determine who pays the bond.

    Work zones FAQs

    A Works Zone is a dedicated right of access and parking allocation on a public road outside a development. This guarantees any contractors working at this site have parking within a close proximity to the site.

    What is a work zone?

    Works zones are spaces at construction sites to keep the kerbside clear of parked vehicles and create access for heavy plant and vehicles delivering or removing materials. This also allows us to notify residents where access may be interrupted and ensure that there are safe alternatives for traffic and pedestrians.

    Do I need a work zone?

    This will depend on the size of the construction and the construction location. You should contact the Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer on 4732 7777 well before your works start to check what you need to do.

    Where can I find the work zone application?

    Please download the Work Zone Permit Application Form (pdf 147kb) or visit Penrith Civic Centre.

    What do I have to do to get a work zone?

    You need to submit a Work Zone Permit Application Form (pdf 147kb) and wait for an assessment from a Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer. Approval can take up to 6 weeks to receive or longer if Local Traffic Committee approval is required. After approval all quoted fees need to be paid before signage installation. This may take up to 10 business days after payment has been received.

    How much is my work zone going to cost?

    You will receive a quote of costs after your application is assessed. You will be contacted by a Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer with a quote for your work zone.

    What happens if someone parks in my work zone?

    If an unauthorised vehicle is parked in your work zone, contact Penrith City Council Rangers on 4732 7777.

    What am I permitted to do in my work zone?

    A work zone is only to be used for site parking and loading a truck or vehicle.

Have your say

Community input is important

We encourage you to have your say about community plans, policies and issues that will shape our City's future...

Peach Tree Creek and Lower Surveyors Creek Flood Study

Nepean River Flood Study

Sport, Recreation, Play and Open Space Strategy

Community input is important

Would you like to receive your rates notice via email?

It's quick and easy! Click on the button below for more information.

Receive your rates notice via email

Find us on
Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 council@penrith.city 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia